**All postulants and candidates must write 4 quarterly Ember Day letters to the Bishop. They may be CC’ed to your COMpanion, parish leader, or others, or may simply be sent to the Bishop alone. It is up to postulants/candidates to send these in a timely fashion. Reminders will not be sent.**
Diaconate Postulancy /Candidacy/Ordination Path
1. Begin the Deacon Formation Academy in June after gaining postulancy in spring.
2. Complete Year One & undertake a 6-month local internship at a different parish.
3. Post-Internship, apply for candidacy (Form 6), and receive continued support from your Vestry/Bishop’s Committee (Form 7).
4. Make sure all needed documents are included in your file.
5. Go before the Standing Committee for an interview to gain candidacy.
6. Upon gaining candidacy, apply for diaconal ordination (Form 8) and receive continued support from your Vestry/Bishop’s Committee (Form 9).
7. Prepare for ordination with the DFA cohort.
8. Ordination, God willing, and the people consenting, will occur the first week of June in most years.
9. Request a mentor deacon with whom to meet at least quarterly for the first year.
Priesthood Postulancy/Candidacy/Ordination Path
1. Begin Formation in fall following spring COM interviews (or whenever has been arranged and approved by the Bishop).
2. Complete Year One of Formation & requirements.
3. Complete Year Two of Formation & requirements, assure a Middler Evaluation is sent to your diocesan file by January of Year Two.
4. COM will schedule a Candidacy Interview with you in the spring of your Middler Year. You will be asked to write answers to further questions, to submit your transcript to date, and to attend the interview either via Zoom or in-person as you’re able.
5. Apply for candidacy (Form 6), and seek continued support from your Vestry/Bishop’s Committee (Form 7).
6. Make sure all needed documents are included in your file. 7. Go before the Standing Committee to interview to gain candidacy.
8. Upon gaining candidacy, apply for diaconal ordination (Form 8) and continued support from your Vestry/Bishop’s Committee (Form 9).
9. Be ordained a deacon.
10. Complete your senior year of formation.
11. In the spring of the senior year, submit an application for priestly ordination (Form 10) and continued support from Vestry/Bishop’s Committee (Form 11).
12. Upon approvals, be ordained a priest in coordination with the Bishop’s schedule and that of your local parish.
13. Request a mentor priest with whom to meet at least quarterly for the first year.
Additional Forms and Resources:
- Medical Examination Form
- Life History Questionnaire
- Mental Health Evaluation Form for Doctor
- Behavioral Survey Questionnaire (BSQ)
- Deacons and the Diaconate
Those exploring a call to ordination, or working with a person in discernment, will find the most recent editions of the Guidebooks by the Commission on Ministry (COM) and all related forms posted below. To get in touch with the commission, please contact Janet Beason, COM Secretary.